Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
mrjpack
Contributing MemberPosts: 679Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 AF Tracking in Low-Light?
In reply to arrr, 11 months ago

arrr wrote:

mrjpack wrote:

First of all, if you are shooting indoors & need 6400, obviously you need a fast lens & if you are shooting sports AFC is a must. For better results you need to program the AE button to focus & set the shutter for release. Will you nail 100% nope, but you will get a good majority of your shots...

I've never been an AF ON button shooter. I've always used the half press to start focus and a full press to capture. This technique worked just fine on my previous D300 and D2X. I doubt I can change the way I shoot now. I've been doing it this way for 18 years.

For low light shooting, I understand that its necessary to take some buffer/insurance shots but I'm not looking to get lucky. I need the autofocus to be more reliable than unreliable. Losing 30% of my images to poor focus isn't going to cut it, especially when I am only going to get one chance to capture that moment.

In dark shots if I am shooting properly, I get about 90% which is pretty good according to the conditions. AF On allows for more accurate shooting on any body. It was very foreign to me at first, but now comes naturally to me. Would the D-800 be more accurate? Maybe, but I have not shot it. To be sure, you wold need to go to the D4, maybe a DF.

mrjpack's gear list:mrjpack's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow