Comparing Olympus 4/3lenses to FX "Full Frame" offerings

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 2,061Gear list
Like?
Re: you wouldn't want
In reply to Tiger1, 11 months ago

Tiger1 wrote:

I know what you are saying but you are not accurate.
Protons are subatomic particles that have little to do with image capture. Maybe you meant photons!

Yes, of course. Thanks for the correction.  I saw somebody else make that mistake on this forum in the past day or so, and I was wondering how long it would take me to do the same thing.  Not very long, I guess!

Sensor size has little to do with enlargement.

I'm sure this is incorrect.

Enlargement in the digital era is all about numbers of pixels coupled with cleanliness/sharpness per pixel. It has little to do with sensor size

See above.

The first Canon D30 had an aps sensor of 3MP. The sony digicam has a tiny sensor comparatively but has 20MP. You can enlarge the sony pictures far more than the canons. A sigma merrill camera has an aps-c sized sensor but you can enlarge the images from it far more than a Nikon D3 which has a FF sensor, despite the texta balloon example you gave us.

You're making this more complicated than necessary, bringing in unrelated issues and ignoring the relevant ones.

Forget about different formats and pixel counts for a minute and stick to one format, any one. Why does one try to put more light on a sensor?

Try this thought experiment.  First photograph a solid-colored, featureless surface at base ISO.  Then take away several stops of light (by closing down the aperture or shortening the shutter speed or reducing the scene luminance, or by some combination of the three).  Raise the ISO to match the output brightness of the base-ISO image, then print the two to the same size.  Am I wrong in thinking that the one made with more light is going to have less noise and better color, among other niceties?

Now do this with several different sensor sizes (let's assume the same manufacturer, so the issue is not clouded by differences in color palette and whatnot; you can also tweak the MP count however you like). Do one set with the same light density (exposure) on each camera and then another set with the same total light on each camera (that is: progressively lower light density, forcing you to use higher ISO, as the sensor gets larger). Same print size for each one. What do you think will happen? I think the latter set will look pretty much the same across the board, and if you line up the former set in order of ascending image quality, I think it will correlate with sensor size, smallest to largest.

Weird coincidence, huh?

If you have a hard time visualizing what might happen to a solid color in these cirumstances, go to one of the DPR studio comparison widgets and plug in a camera.  Look at the full scene (not the 100% crop) at base ISO and then at something like ISO 12800, and you will see the colors go grey and lifeless.

And to re-quote one of your comments from above, this time including the part in parenthesis:

"Enlargement in the digital era is all about numbers of pixels coupled with cleanliness/sharpness per pixel. It has little to do with sensor size (although I have been arguing that the larger sensors can have larger photosites which trap more photons and you can have more of them to boot!)."

I'm really not a tech-y person, so I don't know a lot about photosites and all that, but from a practical standpoint, I think you can only pile photons so high on a sensor.  To collect more of them, you have to spread out over a larger area.  I vaguely remember reading of things like well depth which affect efficiency, but it seems to me that total area must be by far the more significant factor, which is I think what Bob and the other gents have been saying.  I've been shooting four thirds since 2005 and micro four thirds since a few years ago, and I also shoot Nikon FX and DX, as well as ASP-C mirrorless (NEX) and an FZ200 -- yes, I like cameras, and I'm pretty brand/format agnostic! -- and my experience over the years, plus the DxO numbers and various shootouts I've seen, bear this out.

Julie

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow