BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,315Gear list
Like?
Re: Ha ha ha! ;-)
In reply to LWS2013, 9 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

antoineb wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

why did they put that same old sensor in it, they really should have developed an update 21 or 24mp sensor, I wouldn't buy an X-T1 because the sensor is likely to be replaced with in a year.

This is no different to the Nikon DF using the same sensor as the D4, the D4 sensor isn't great and caused many Nikon users to switch over to Canon

Amusing!

(1) The Nikon Df uses the sensor from the D4 indeed. That sensor is one of the most admired sensors today, especially for lof light and high ISO. And its 16mp is more resolution than most people will ever need. Your statement that this sensor "caused many Nikon users switch over to Canon", is unfounded.

(2) the sensor in the X-T1 has shown its worth, most recently in the X-E2. Clearly this delivers image quality comparable to the best DSLRs with similar resolution. You on the other hand, seem to care more about a couple extra mp's and whether a new sensor comes out, than whether you can take photos with high IQ? Weird.

While you may well be able to compare the sensor in the X-T1 and X-E2 to similar resolution DSLRs like the D7000 my point was the advantages or newer sensor like the one in the D7100 for example, if you compare the X-T1 and X-E2 to the D7100 you can see clear as day that the D7100 has quite a bit more DR even with the extra resolution and this was my original point, Fuji are now well behind the competition with regards to DR and resolution.

as for the best image quality in a compact body the A7/R leaves the X-T1/X-E1 for dead

You mention the Nikon D7000 and D7100. Nikon have dumped Sony as the sensor supplier for the D7100 and gone with a gem from Toshiba. Before that they also got rid of Sony and went with a Toshiba sensor in the D5200.

I agree with you in that people are finding the D7100's image quality much better than expected. Going Toshiba for the sensor I think was a clever move by Nikon as it shows them to be very focussed on quality. Even I find myself thinking about buying a D7100 but I doubt it is ahead of X-Trans for DR and low light performance. Resolution, yes of course but realistically how many times have you ever really needed the full 24MP.

For me there has only been one or two occassions where I've needed the full 16MP of my X-E1. 16MP is very high resolution when you think ahout it.

As good as it is, the D7100 is still a Bayer pattern and while the advantage of X-Trans seems to diminish with higher MP's, the X-Trans (also a Toshiba based sensor unit I suspect) being 16MP delivers APS-C class leading image quality/dynamic range in low light conditions.

Resolution is not everything, in fact in some conditions higher res can work against you.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow