Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,733
Like?
Re: Can someone please point me to hard evidence of D800 focus problems
In reply to Robin Casady, 6 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

I've had a browse through this thread, but I've seen nothing but personal abuse and vague comments that hint at focus issues.

Sorry if I've missed it, but has anyone posted evidence of specific focus problems, with descriptions of how to recreate those problems? I mean something with enough specific information to allow any D800 user to repeat the situation, and say with certainty "yes that problem occurs with my camera" or "no it doesn't".

We know there was a left-focus issue with early D800s (now long-since fixed), and I'm sure any particular D800 might have a manufacturing defect (or have broken).

But I've read no evidence of any generic design or manufacturing fault in D800 focusing (since the left-focus problem).

If that's wrong, please correct me. With hard evidence.

As I understand it, primeshooter's complaint is that the D800 misses focus about 60% of the time when shooting indoors at f/2.8, through f/1.4. Give it a try and see what you come up with.

I have done that. In good light, or bad light, even under so low light that it is difficult to see what I focus on, and my D800 focuses just right in nearly 100% of the cases as long as the AF assist of the SB900 is not used. Of course, with f/1.4 a slight movement (my own or the target) and the extremely narrow DOF is problematic, so such tests must be done from tripod on static, flat targets. Simon is right. Hard evidence is missing concerning the alleged "global" AF issues.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow