Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,032Gear list
Like?
Meh ..
In reply to Tiger1, 9 months ago

Tiger1 wrote:

Sergey_Green wrote:

Tiger1 wrote:

Now why do you think that anyone would care about the aperture diameter? The aperture diameter is only relevant when it is coupled to the focal length because as a photographer I actually measure light intensity (or luminosity) when I use a light meter. It actually gives me an F stop and a shutter speed. It does not give me an aperture diameter and then asks me for a focal length or vice versa. So f/2 IS f/2 when it comes to taking photos! Isn't that what this whole website is about? It is not about people like you getting so pedantic as to confuse everybody about what really is important.

The aperture diameter only explains why, but of course no-one should care what the exact size is. However, as a photographer, were you to shoot with different formats, would you care what your pics would look like at the end. After all, f/2 from FT and f/2 from FF are hardly the same. Would that matter?

-- hide signature --

- sergey

F/2 is F/2 no matter what the format when it comes to exposure - that is what I'm talking about.

As a photographer I am interested in getting the correct exposure.

And this alone tells me that you have no idea what you are talking about. First, I don't believe many people shoot in fully manual mode, not even pros. It is either (aperture,shutter) priority with exposure compensation when necessary, or plain old p-mode (I suspect your favourite). Secondly, I would not imagine someone would spend double for the sake of exposure when buying the likes of 35/1.4, 85/1.4, or any of the 105/135 DC lenses, not today. Those are mainly for the visual properties the images will have in them; blur, subject isolation, creamy bokeh, etc. So here you straight bold-faced disqualified your 'as a photographer' line, because from what you append further you clearly are not.

ISO, shutter speed and F stop determine exposure.

Yeah, and how exactly does the ISO determine the exposure, please enlighten us.

When it comes to DOF that is another matter. The effect of F stop on DOF will depend on the focal length of the lens. Because different formats have different angles of view, one has to change focal lengths to get the same perspective for each format.

Whatever depends on it is not the same between the formats when set to the same numeric values.

Changing the focal length at a given aperture will then affect DOF. To get equal DOF one has to increase ones aperture as the format gets smaller to retain the same perspective.

And so f/2 is not f/2, because one has to be changed from where the other is. And same goes for light, you get more light through the larger opening that you can squeeze at the same intensity through a smaller one - what a concept!

The F stop will still determine the exposure with the shutter speed for a given ISO.

Which is all adjusted and levelled to the format, with more added gain for the smaller sensor, and is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

So when it comes to EXPOSURE f/2=f/2=f/2 no matter what the format.

I think you need to practice with your p-mode a bit longer, and then come show us what else you have discovered. Whatever you are selling here is just not flying.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Oh?New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow