Small-sensor + Long lens combo, is the Nikon 1 the best choice?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
John1940
Senior MemberPosts: 1,043Gear list
Like?
Re: Small-sensor + Long lens combo, is the Nikon 1 the best choice?
In reply to Greg A A, 11 months ago

Greg A A wrote:

John1940 wrote:

Greg A A wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

frank-in-toronto wrote:

i use the v1 along with my d600. the difference in iq is HUGE. however, for small web posts, the v1 is fine. for anything large, printed or cropped, it's junk.

You know what's really junk? A v1-size crop from a DSLR, compared to the same lens using a v1.

Huh? In no circumstance is a Nikon 1 comparable to a D4, D800, D600, D7100, D3S ...

John Sheehy is right. What really matters is the number of pixels you get on the subject, for example a small bird or squirrel. You can do the proof using arithmetic. No advanced mathematics required.

John1940

For more reach and a quality image most photographers that own a DSLR will get a longer telephoto, not crop to V1 size.

Pixels on the subject isn't the sole measure of image quality. Many pixels don't help if you are demanding too much of a lens. When you have already cropped the lens with a smaller sensor you are more heavily relying on lens resolution. A picture taken with a 2.7x lens crop wouldn't leave much latitude for further cropping. For a superlative lens like the 300 2.8 ($5800) there might not be much of an issue at full frame, but for lesser lenses I suspect there would be a more noticeable difference. A DSLR kit lens probably wouldn't hold up well with a V1 crop.

To your point there was an outstanding example several months ago with a 300 2.8 with TC20 III that is impressive: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51683700 . The 300 2.8 is up to the challenge to cleanly resolving the Nikon V1 crop.

If you already have a 300 2.8 VRII + TC20 III then adding a Nikon V2 + FH1 might be an interesting accessory to experiment with a 1620mm reach. Someone with expensive long telephoto lenses would probably want the greater flexibility of a high end DSLR. AF speed, dynamic range and lower light capability factor into camera choice. I'd get the 300 2.8 first then decide if the Nikon V2 would be a fun addition to experiment with.

If you start with a 200mm 2.8 or a Nikon 70-200 2.8 (which many people have) the Nikon 1 series body will do a great job (with the same lens) at a low price. It will put 14 MP on some bird image, for example, and the D800 crop will only leave 5 MP on it (if I calculated correctly).

I agree with you if you are a pro wild life photographer. But even then a Nikon 1 is useful for great reach when you need it.

John1940

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow