Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,363Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?
In reply to Lumixdude, 6 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

You're right, in one sense in terms of light gathering, but F/1.4 is F1.4 is not not? Maybe I just don't need that kind of lens speed after all...

The "f" is the focal length. In case of your LX-7, the "f" at the widest is 4.7mm (which is 24mm equiv), so you are looking at an opening 4.7/1.4 = 3.4mm. By comparison, the kit zoom on NEX-3N is 16mm (which is 24mm equiv) but f/3.5, so the opening, 16/3.5 = 4.6mm.

So, more light gets through the NEX kit lens even though it is f/3.5. The difference is that the light is used over a sensor significantly larger.

That being said, landscape is the last thing I would shoot wide open and especially at night unless I'm shooting the stars. With wide angles, f/5.6-f/8 provides ample shutter speed at the base ISO, and stopping down further is even better if you want star burst appearance.

My widest lenses are 8mm /2.8 (fisheye) and 20mm/2.8, and I almost never shoot at aperture larger than f/4 (usually f/5.6). Same with my Sony 16-50/2.8 lens.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
OKNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow