Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA DxOMark Score of 42

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
MrT-Man
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA DxOMark Score of 42
In reply to captura, 6 months ago

captura wrote:

The same Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm scored 25 on the NEX-7.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18-mounted-on-Sony-NEX-7__736

That is about the same score as the NEX lens the OSS 50 SEL 1.8. And just slightly better than the 35/1.8.

So what is the big deal?

As I said... I'm not convinced that the DXO score accurately captures differences in color and contrast, which is the main improvement I'm hoping for by upgrading from the SEL50 to the FE 55. By way of example, the Sigma 30 and Touit 32 also have very similar DXO scores, and to my eyes there's a pretty big difference in the color and contrast from those two lenses (though I'm sure there are some who will disagree).

I look at my Touit 32 and Z24 images and there's a large difference relative to the color I get from the SEL50, so that's why I'm looking to upgrade. Maybe as a secondary consideration, I really love the character and rendering of my Z24 Sonnar (anyone who has a Z24 will know what I mean) and am hoping that the 55, which is also a Sonnar design, will be similar. Again, "character" is something that I doubt is adequately captured in a DXO score.

Petroglyph, to answer your question, I always have the OSS on, so I'm not sure how much I actually use it! That's one concern that I do have in terms of going from the 50 to the 55. But I've noticed that the vast majority of my shots with the 50 have been 1/100 shutter speed or faster, and I've got a pretty steady hand, so I'm hoping I'll be ok. I do plan to test it extensively during the return period to ensure that won't be a big issue.

MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow