Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maxuci
Contributing MemberPosts: 529
Like?
Will I be happy with the RX100?
6 months ago

First off, this is yet another "What gear should I buy" thread, and for that I apologize.

My background...:

I first got into photography with the NEX-5 and bought it on release day.  From there I moved to the NEX-7, and from there to the RX1.  I had both the RX1 and NEX-7 for a while, but sold my NEX-7 a couple of months ago.  I sold it because I wasn't using it that much and also because I anticipated it's successor being announced soon.  I will probably buy the A7  some time soon.  I just feel like this is a forgone conclusion, as much as I hate to admit that... (however, I don't have the gear lust for the A7 as I did for the NEX-5, NEX-7, or RX1).  As for lenses, I still have the SEL18200 (original version), the SEL16f28, and the wide angle converter.

Now, I've been trying to figure out what will be my next camera for a while now.  I love the output of the RX1. Specifically, versus the NEX-7, I love theamazing dynamic range of the RX1 as compared to the NEX-7 and also the lower high ISO noise.

I've been looking at the NEX-3N, 5N, 5R, and 5T as possibilities for another APS-C body.  I want this for the following reasons: situations where I need 10 fps, the extra reach given by the 1.5 crop factor (kind of negated by the crop-ability of the 24Mpx A7), and also for a less expensive body I can travel with.  Specifically, I will be going to Brazil for the World Cup and am a little wary about bring the RX1, even thought there will probably be great photo ops on this trip.  So then I was thinking about getting the 3N with kit power zoom, which would be good for traveling, and would also allow me to attach the SEL18200 for when I need extra reach.  However, I then give up the 10 fps. Thus I was considering the newer 5 series options as well.

Then all of a sudden I thought maybe I should get an RX100.  It's $399 for a new one (original version) on ebay right now.  Seems like it could be perfect for my Brazil trip and other times I just want to slip a camera into my pocket.  The second gen of it looks nice because of the tilting screen (don't care about hotshoe), but I live with the RX1, so I can live with the non-tilting RX100 (I don't know about sensor differences -- are they significant?).  What I don't know if I can live with is the image quality from small sensor after being spoiled by the FF RX1.  I really haven't used any camera besides those listed above, except for my phone camera (HTC One), and I am having a hard time imagining what image quality is going to be like.  I've looked at RX100 galleries online, but it's not really helping.

Sooooooooo... Any thoughts/comments/feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow