mchnz
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Re: MFT I don't get it . . .
In reply to thk0, 8 months ago

thk0 wrote:

mchnz wrote:

VertigonA380 wrote:

I don't know what significant problems exactly, I mean they are getting 8fps out of APS-C cameras, good performance at higher ISO's etc. Processing engines even in FF cameras are pushing out more than this, I mean what significant problems exactly?

Potential problems:

• Making chips at higher failure rates costs you or your customers more money (and your products are already pretty expensive compared to the competition).
  • When you go to your sensor manufacturer and ask for something weird, they're going to make you pay for it (and they may also be your competition).
  • Your engineers may not know how to make a system that can obtain and deal with more sensor data and keep the cost and performance as they were before. Your engineers have only just in the past two years gotten anything like the performance of your rivals - so they're obviously been struggling.
  • You've been evolving a system in a particular way for years, and it will cost you big bucks to make a radical change in your software and hardware (and you're not making a profit to start with).
  • Your management will only tolerate a certain amount of risk - it's easier to sell building on what you did last year (you don't have a Steve Jobs at the top).
  • Many of your customers don't care about this (so it doesn't make it up the priority list - putting engineers on better video out ranks it).

All nonsense in my opinion. It would be trivial to put a sensor behind the entire image circle. The sensor size would not be that huge. The costs are minimal. By your argument they should be putting tiny point and shoot sensors in m43 cameras.

If it's all nonsense, why isn't it here?

Would no one in a camera company have thought of the idea?

Or did they just not feel like delivering what you ask?

Is it a conspiracy to keep us on the upgrade trail?

I don't understand your leap into putting compact sensors - I'm not saying they put in the cheapest chips, I'm saying they put in the chips they can afford/obtain, deliver on time, and still make their target margin.

Was catching up to their rival's sensors also trivial? They just didn't feel like doing it until recently?

Plus, as others have pointed out, not only the sensor changes, but also the shutter, IS, viewfinder, ...

At the end of the day you have to decide on what features are in or out and how much it will cost - otherwise all cameras would be Homer Simpson cameras with fold out beverage holders.

mchnz's gear list:mchnz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow