Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA DxOMark Score of 42

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,450Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow....Baby Otus almost doesn't do it justice...
In reply to TrojMacReady, 8 months ago

TrojMacReady wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Sharpness comes in at 29P-mpix (tested with A7r) !

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18

Calling it a baby Otus (with baby price compared to the Otus...) almost doesn't do its performance justice. Even actual transmission values appear close to identical.

There's much more to the photo than sharpness. The Otus has a rendering style that's medium format in character, something that the 55mm FE can't achieve. Don't get me wrong, I like the 55mm FE (I own it), but the Otus has a 3D feeling to it that I haven't seen in other lenses. Keep in mind that the distance between the front element and sensor determines perspective, and its diameter the DoF and far distance bokeh - the Otus is about twice the FE in both of these metrics. I have taken shots from the same location, with both lenses, using identical exposure, and the Otus has a much more noticeable clarity & pop. Sharpness was great on both, naturally, though the Otus had much more controlled fringing.

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow