Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,671
Like?
Re: Can someone please point me to hard evidence of D800 focus problems
In reply to Simon Garrett, 8 months ago

Simon Garrett wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

I've had a browse through this thread, but I've seen nothing but personal abuse and vague comments that hint at focus issues.

Sorry if I've missed it, but has anyone posted evidence of specific focus problems, with descriptions of how to recreate those problems? I mean something with enough specific information to allow any D800 user to repeat the situation, and say with certainty "yes that problem occurs with my camera" or "no it doesn't".

We know there was a left-focus issue with early D800s (now long-since fixed), and I'm sure any particular D800 might have a manufacturing defect (or have broken).

But I've read no evidence of any generic design or manufacturing fault in D800 focusing (since the left-focus problem).

If that's wrong, please correct me. With hard evidence.

As I understand it, primeshooter's complaint is that the D800 misses focus about 60% of the time when shooting indoors at f/2.8, through f/1.4. Give it a try and see what you come up with.

I wish I could. My primes are all older, manual focus.

I'll be interested to see if this is generally found to be the case. It would be good to narrow down whether these are isolated cases, or perhaps problems that occur in certain specific circumstances, or something more general. I think the latter is not so likely, or it would have come up before in reviews and testing.

-- hide signature --

Simon

You can use the green dot with manual focus lenses.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow