Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,266Gear list
Like?
Re: Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public
In reply to tnphoto, 11 months ago

tnphoto wrote:

Your friends are going to go easier on you than we strangers, especially if you ask for C&C. We also don't know whether you're a working pro or a beginner, and our criticism really should reflect the different standards we need to apply.

My E-M1, which arrived in October, is my first interchangeable lens camera. I first started post processing (Lightroom) just over a year ago. I've been putting a fair amount of time and effort into it but I still think of myself as a beginner.

In landscape, location is super important. You're not going to get the same killer shots in the woods behind your house as the guys roaming Yosemite.

You can say that again.

But you're out there, making images and trying to get better, and I give you credit for that. So here are my comments, FWIW:

Thanks.

How would I improve it? You've got to get closer to something and make that the center of interest. My eye is drawn to the hump-like rocks on the right. Move in close, wide-angle perspective, vertical shot. That puts the sun behind me, not so great, so a different time of day would be better. Or move upstream on the far side of the creek (to keep my sidelight) and look for interesting structure for the bottom of a vertical photo.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

The shadowed side of the barn and the silo need more interest, which you can provide with a little digital dodging and contrast enhancement.

I've seen how to do that in several video tutorials I watched but I keep forgetting to do that. Thanks for reminding me.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow