Sony where are your fast zoom lenses?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,010
Like?
Re: This doesn't add up
In reply to Lumixdude, 11 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

Don't tell me about ISO, as I believe ISO bumping is an anachronism. I'm this close to actually buying an NEX, but then I look at things... I could handle the 18-105 at F/4.... that's quite a good aperture if you look at the long end, but where are your wide and fast wide angle lenses? I want something in the vicinity of a 14-35 or there abouts which would go down to something like F/1.8 but Sony doesn't offer anything here... It's a shame really, the one lens I would use frequently for landscape photog and Sony doesn't have one?

Why is bumping up iso an anachronism? Today you can do it, yesterday it wasn't a good move. If anything is an anachronism it is very fast lenses surely. They are a throwback to the days when 400 asa was considered fast, when wide open fast lenses were better for ovf as the viewfinder was much better wide open and stopped down to shooting aperture when fired.

Narrow DOF is pretty good on the bigger Sony sensors that isn't the reason for fast lenses that it is on some of the other formats.

Those fast lenses are also bigger, heavier and more expensive.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
OKNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow