Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,481
Like?
Re: Sigh...so much bad advice in this thread
In reply to knickerhawk, 6 months ago

knickerhawk wrote:

Robgo2 wrote:

Your information regarding Photo Ninja is incorrect in at least one important detail. The latest version of Photo Ninja (v1.2) uses Noise Ninja 4, which is not available as a stand alone program. Prior versions of Noise Ninja were stand alone, and you probably used one of them in the past. NN4 is a quantum leap better than NN3, so if you have not tested PN 1.2, then you have no idea how effective its NR can be. I am confident that the image in question in this thread would be child's play for it. However, the best NR that I have seen is the Prime NR engine in DxO 9. Unfortunately, as a raw convertor, DxO is inferior to Photo Ninja in almost every other way. I bought DxO 9 to have available for very high ISO images with extremely heavy noise. For everything else, I use Photo Ninja and get better results.

I do agree with your point about proper exposure being the best way to minimize noise, but stuff happens, and even the best of us sometimes underexpose. In those instances, it is important to have the best NR tools and to know how to use them properly.

Rob

You are correct that I used an older version of Noise Ninja. If the "quantum leap" you're referring to is the kind of results shown in Gianluca's sample/comparison, then I'd have to say that I'm not impressed.

Do we have access to the original raw file?  If so, I would be happy to take a crack at it.  I have dealt quite successfully with images with far more noise.

Rob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow