Why do these A7R shots look so awful? Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,631Gear list
Re: Strange that you were focusing only on shots from...(more)
In reply to gil, 8 months ago

A good selection of sample A7r images is at the Fred Miranda site. Wow, some of them are breathtaking.

I have the A7r and it replaced my beloved D800e. I find it to be about the same or perhaps a tad better overall than the D800e but considerably better in terms of ergonomics - lightness, smallness, evf, lcd, adjuting the parameters. Plus I found with the D800e I used to fiddle with the camera too much trying to get the image just right. The A7r WYSIWYG display makes that take a second. Also the intelligent auto mode is very useful when you simply want to take a quick shot and there's not a lot of time to fuss with the camera. So its great that way. I also love Sony video.

The clear zoom is handy as well, so a full frame lens can be used a t 3 focal lengths - native, crop (1.5X) and digital zoom 2X. So if you set it to APS crop and then use the digital zoom you are something like 3X.

Also crop mode is still 24mp. The latest Fuji XT1 that has many people drooling is 16mp APSc and 24mp is only in Nikon and Nex cameras.

As far as one photographers work goes its too small a sample to make a judgement call. I quite like his style and impactful colour but as pointed out its a developed style just like Carlos Santana has a developed guitar style.

A7r does need a fast shutter speed or a tripod for maximum sharpness and to get away from any shutter vibrations.

I generally use my A7r and Fuji XE1 in Shutter priority set to min 1/320th sec outdoors (often 1/1000th for a sunny day) set ISO to auto (these cameras have very low noise at high ISO) and set aperture to suit the DOF I want to have in the image.

Works a treat.

Greg.

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow