Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS worth the $$ over HSM II macro?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Norsketorsken
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS worth the $$ over HSM II macro?
3 months ago

I am looking for a fast telezoom lens, and have narrowed it down to either the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM II or the new OS version. I can get the HSM II used for about half of what the OS costs, and have been reading alot of reviews about both. It seems they are about the same quality optically, with both being a bit better than the other in a couple of areas. The HSM II seems slightly better in the 70-135mm focal range, and the OS seems slightly better at the long end. Also the closer focusing distance of the HSM II is a plus. Build quality wise, I like that the HSM II is all-metal and has a much wider focus adjustment ring. Ofcourse having OS is a plus, but I'm not sure how much I would actually miss that if I were to buy the HSM II. I plan on using it for sports, wildlife/birds, nature/scenery, kids playing, pets, and an occational portrait. So I'm thinking I can either use a tripod or the shutter speed will be fast enough to cancel the need for OS.
Has anyone used both, and how would you compare them if you had no need for optical stabilization?

Norsketorsken's gear list:Norsketorsken's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow