Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,889Gear list
Like?
Re: X-T1 and 56mm hands-on
In reply to justin_time, 11 months ago

justin_time wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

Since the X-E2 and X-T1 share the same image processor, sensor and PDAF technology any performance in AF speed must come from updated FW. Hopefully this would trickle down to us current X-Trans II camera owners.

Sal

I would not assume speed increase must come from firmware. I could have more / faster memory & possibly different hardware architecture that gives the speed boost. But I hope it is firmware as I have X-E2, so would love that to be improved.

I would only assume that if there was indeed no hardware boost in the new camera.  Fuji did say the circuitry around the sensor was improved for slightly less noise, but no mention of AF circuitry improvements.  If the hardware improvements are there I hope Fuji does a better job of bragging about it so the camera sells well!  

My suspicion would be that Fuji kept as much of the X-E2 guts in the X-T1 as possible to keep costs down, and wrote a bunch of new FW.  $300 more is not a huge difference over the X-E2 to cover the full magnesium body, weather sealing, faster card drive (and associated additional memory), new improved EVF, etc.  Any new FW can be spread out among many current cameras to keep Fuji users happy over the next year (excellent ROI).

Cheers.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow