Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
traveler_101
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock: My ep5 is bad. Would an em5 do better?
In reply to Mr Sincere, 9 months ago

Mr Sincere wrote:

gnewylliw wrote:

Mr Sincere wrote

Here's a handheld shot at 1/40, which appears to be under the shutter shock threshold. It's relatively sharp, compared to the 1/250 shot at least.

I would put my money on up-down camera shake at 1/40, being at a 45mm FL.

Well I wouldn't rule that out at 1/40 either, but you'll notice I wasn't complaining about shutter shock in this example. This was supposed to be an example of a photo that wasgood in comparison to the ones showing obvious shutter shock at higher shutter speeds.

If you have a return policy, why not just pick up another e-p5, or if you're inclined to get a e-m5, buy it and test it? If you were buying used, this would be another issue.

I can only afford to buy used. I picked this one up for $700, in like new condition. The seller offered to allow a return, if I paid a small restocking fee, which I'm still debating. I could pick up a used em5 for $650, so it would end up being about a wash.

I'd love to be able to go to my local camera shop to try out another sample, or an em5, but I can't afford to pay full price + tax. And I feel like an a-hole using the local camera shop to demo products, only to hop online later to make the purchase.

Dear Mr. Sincere

Thank you for posting; it has been a tremedously informative and at times entertaining thread.

My advice is to dump this camera as soon as you can and instead of buying a used E-M5 for $650, pick up a brand new E-M10 for $699. Then you ahve a full warranty, plus dpreview has ths to say about it: "The good news is that our preliminary testing suggests it isn't prone to the image shake that can occur with the PEN E-P5."

I don't like to buy used digital cameras--lenses o.k. but cameras no.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow