Veteran MemberPosts: 5,549Gear list
Like?
Re: Other 50s
In reply to viking79, 11 months ago

viking79 wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

Martin Muehlemann wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

Sharpness comes in at 29P-mpix (tested with A7r) !

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-Carl-Zeiss-Sonnar-T-STAR-55mm-F18

Makes the other vendors 50mm look really bad.

canon 50L has 17p and the Nikon 50 1.4g with 15p

The FE 55 "only" gets 15 on the Nex 7 (the Sony 50 1.4 gets 16 on the A850).

That is terrible that a full frame is scoring the same as the NEX 7. This is an indicator that the lens isn't so great on A850 and very good on NEX 7 (full frame should be much higher perceptual MP for the same sensor resolution).

Yes.    Then again it is an older lens on an older camera.

We can easily verify this, the FE 55mm tests notably better than the A50 f/1.4 on A77 (9 MP), and even better than the very good E50 f/1.8 (13 MP) on NEX 7.

I do not think you can say then the other lenses are bad.

No, but they aren't as good Comparing the D800 with Nikon 58mm f/1.4 and A7r with 55mm f/1.8, and it is very clear that the Nikon lens doesn't perform up to the sensor. It looks like a great lens for a D4, not to maximize what the D800 is capable of.

The thing would be what the Canon and Nikon lenses score ON the A7R.,,,though it is CLEARLY a very good lens.

Eh, the Nikon 58mm f/1.4 is very over priced, the 50mm f/1.4 G is no better than the cheaper 50 mm f/1.8 G which is pretty decent on a D700 (12 MP), I have heard a lot of complaints that those lenses just aren't good enough for the D800 (start to notice with the 36 MP, or even on APS-C they aren't so hot). I have tested the 50mm f/1.4 and 1.8G on D700. They were really nice on the 12 MP camera.

Eric

I think the FE is a wonderful lens though I wont get it. (I am happy with my many mf lenses on my A7).

I am just pointing out the camera is a BIG part of why the lens scores so high.

I really would like to see the scores for the Nikon and Canon lenses on the A7R (and A7)

Also how the FE 55 scores on the A7 (I am guessing pretty high maybe 20+).

Nikon has 36mp cameras but Canon does not (yet) so I think some of the Canon lenses would score a fair bit closer than they currently do (if on an A7R).

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow