Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 5,079Gear list
Like?
Re: Good Question
In reply to ROC124, 10 months ago

ROC124 wrote:

The general public often prefer images that trigger a positive emotional response or memory.

The stronger that response, the less important are the technical merits. Many photo hobbyists tend to look first, and sometimes only, at technical merits, particularly related to the gear used.

Good thoughts.

Since they all succeed in that manner for me, I'm not inclined to get into the technical merits. While they can be improved technically, my first reaction is that those technical improvements wouldn't significantly increase my enjoyment of them.

The big question for photographers, then, is "Who is the intended audience?" No matter how hard you try, you can't please everyone. In your case, was the intended audience those friends and relatives who enjoyed them images, or a bunch of largely anonymous gear heads on the Internet?

I'm trying to improve my skills. For the moment my target audience is family and friends but I know they are far too forgiving. I want to learn to create technically better photos with a goal to... I don't know where this will go for me... I have no current plans to make this a job but I know that I want more than I have now. I want to guard against having my creativity being strangled by concern for the technical, but I don't want to ignore that important aspect of photography either.

I sell my prints in local galleries, and have learned the clientele of each has different preferences. I do photography to please me, but then select images for shows based on the different audiences. The one constant is that the photo hobbyists that attend the shows are often highly critical of technical issues, and never buy anything. There is a good lesson there!

Thanks very much for sharing your expert experience.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow