Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Josh152
Senior MemberPosts: 1,236
Like?
Re: The ultimate reason not to shoot both
In reply to knickerhawk, 10 months ago

knickerhawk wrote:

AlphaTikal wrote:

That includes post process. And with such heavy post, raw is much different than jpeg. Thats right. But his initial posting sounded different (to me).
--
· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

No, I was talking about ETTR, which is just another term for setting exposure for optimal raw processing. For me (and others who shoot raw), there's no point in exposing in a way that may make the in-camera jpeg look properly exposed but at the same time fails to take advantage of what the greater DR lattitude of shooting raw offers.

Exactly.  Once you understand that ISO is not part of the exposure and understand the difference between exposure, and final image brightness exposure actually becomes much simpler when shooting raw.  This is because you basically always make sure you have as much light as possible on the sensor while taking into account the highlights you don't want to blow and your aperture and shutter speed constraints.  You no longer have to worry what the image looks like brightness wise until after you have processed it.  You stop chasing the "correct exposure" and start concentrating on more important things.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow