a lot of pressure on Sony now ...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?
Pat: quite a mixed bag
In reply to PVCdroid, 9 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

I hope they don't respond with a similar design and don't like all the knobs and faux hump. Do you really need a PASM, Shutter speed, and Exposure compensation dial? These are all electronically controlled and for design only in my opinion. One or two flat control wheels can do all of this for the user and quickly once they figure out the camera.

As long as fully functional, I believe in "less is more". The pity of this is that mirrorless RF style cameras have traditionally not looked like DSLR cameras and buyers are uneducated but want the best for their money so they believe these dials and humps are necessary. They also add unnecessary bulk to the camera. Never mind this is just a 16mp sensor which isn't an improvement over Fuji's other APS-C cameras. Unfortunately I think Sony is going to take the low road on design with the NEX-7 replacement and it will look very similar to the A7/A7R. Until Canikon begins to change their designs once they adopt EVF vs. OVF, we will be stuck with this look. Kudos to the Japanese for figuring out the NEX cameras are just as good as DSLR and bought them up like crazy. Why can't the rest of the world get this? The classic DSLR look is old and boring.

judging by pre-orders bar at 28.3% (more than 6% higher than A7) to the right of my editing window on DPR, the XT-1 is an instant hit, so many users seem to like what you don't, for me it is a very mixed bag:

• the goods: [a] the aperture ring on lenses, [b] all the dials for shutter speed, ISO, EC; [c] supposedly very fast AF (reminds to be seen whether all that speed applies only to static targets or rather it will be as good for vary fast, dynamic action shooting/tracking = at least as good as on prosumer level DSLRs?); [d] weather seal; [e] plenty of configurable buttons;
  • no so good but still positive: [f] tiny add-on accessory flash (yet better than no small flash at all); [g] only 1/4000 sec. min. SS; [h] 16 Mpx only sensor - it is a high time for Fuji to ump their APS-C sensors to at least 24 Mpx; [i] only 1/180 sec. flash sync;
  • not good at all [j] humpy-dumpy retro styled VF housing (this is easily the very worst part of XT-1 for me); [k] relatively huge body = much larger than Nex-7, larger front profile even than the Eos 100d;

jpr2

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow