Going back to DSLR...

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Otis
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
Re: Going back to DSLR...
In reply to Al Downie, 9 months ago

Interesting topic on both the merits and disadvantages of both DSLR's and smaller mirrorless cameras. I put myself somewhat in the middle on this dicussion as I love my D3 and most of my FX lenses however I wouldn't mind a smaller camera I could stash in my pocket or small shoulder bag. As they say... the best camera is the one you have with you when a photo opportunity happens.

Upon futher pondering my desirde to save up for a Fugifilm X-E2 as my carry around camera I came up with another idea...  use what I have and try to adapt.  What  I mean is when I'm on assignment i obviously bring a lot of equipment along but when I'm just going about I now bring my D3 with  a Nikon 28mm f1.8 (or other small prime) The weight is a little over 3lbs.  With a good shoulder strap this is not that uncomfortable to carry around and when I do see something interesting,  i have blinding fast af, descent low light capabilities and the reassurance that I have a better chance of getting the shot I want.   This has worked for me.

Magpie

Michael Otis's gear list:Michael Otis's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow