Another Olympus E-M1 and SONY a7 walkabout test, high ISO

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Daniel Wee
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
Re: can't choose on IQ anymore
In reply to ohmydentist, 11 months ago

I remember a time many years ago when it was all rage to fight over which CPU was the fastest - Intel, or AMD (and some others as well). These days, they're all so fast no one except the geekiest types really care much anymore what the CPU make is as long as it gets the job done. I think cameras will go in that direction - the marginal differences between cameras are narrowing down fast and eventually people are going to end up choosing based on macroscopic features (ergnomics, special features, lens quality and choices, and possibly minimal depth of field and hence sensor size.) I think it's a great day for us all, to be able to get such high performance machines at prices that we can afford.
When I got my Nikon D1x (5.4MP) years ago, it cost me enough to buy 4.5 E-M1s today. Then I got the D2H (4.1MP), which still cost 3.5 times as much as an E-M1. Truth be told, the E-M1 today handily beats those cameras with today's far improved technologies.
The recent spate of mirrorless offerings, Olympus E-M5, E-M1, E-M10, SONY a7, a7r, Fuji X-T1, Nikon Df - all look strangely similar (yes, I know they're not the same.) I imagine that this kind of converging trends will continue, driven my consumer demands for certain feature sets which will eventually find their way into most cameras.

So, yes - I agree that at some point in the near future, IQ no longer be the primary distinguishing factor.

Daniel Wee's gear list:Daniel Wee's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD750 Olympus C-2000 Zoom Nikon D70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha 7S +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow