Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lightsniper
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Seeking counsel on 24-70 choice
7 months ago

Hi:  I'm in the process of selling several bodies and lenses to fund the purchase of a 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 to mate with recently acquired D800e.  I'll be purchasing the 70-200 f4 (which I used previously with D600) so no issues there, but I'm struggling with 24-70 choice.

I've owned the Nikon 24-70 alongside D700 and liked it very much, but a lot of my shooting is street/documentary, and in that environment I've learned to very much appreciate the virtues of VR.

Towards that end, I've read a number of positive reviews on the Tamron SP 24-70, and images on various sites are impressive, but neither tell the whole story.  Big difference in price ($1900 vs. $1000 at the moment via Amazon), but I give a fair amount of weight in the decision to the experience with the 24-70 and a wary eye towards 3rd party lenses... though that bias won't keep me from making a prudent decision.

Any experience or even second hand input with the Tamron would be appreciated, and will be considered before I pull the trigger in the next few days.  Similarly thoughts on how often you feel the lack of VR on the Nikon may have gotten in your way.

Appreciate any thoughts or counsel.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow