So why don't people ever talk about the 4/3 aspect ratio?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Re: So why don't people ever talk about the 4/3 aspect ratio?
In reply to topstuff, 7 months ago

topstuff wrote:

I know this is a gear forum, but the 4/3 aspect ratio is a big deal.

It is not the same as 3/2.  It is not the same as a APSC or FF , or really, ANY other camera.

People come and go on this forum talking about moving to m43 so they have smaller and lighter cameras.  People wax lyrical about the EM-1 as The Best Camera Ever,  but no-one talks about the aspect ratio.

The aspect ratio can make a big difference to photo making.  This is a creative thing we are doing, so what is the experience of people here in adapting to 4/3 over 3/2 from a creative standpoint?

Was  is it hard?  Do you find that you have to crop more because the format seems too square? Or do you not notice?

Or maybe you don't even really think about it and polish your shiny new gear instead?

The 4/3 aspect is a big change for some people.

I am surprised that so little talk of it takes place.  Or am I missing something?

I find a I shoot a lot more in portrait than I used to with 35mm film. With 3:2, portraits often are "too tall and skinny", where as with 4/3 I find its often much better. The knock on of course is that portraits tend to be not wide enough, but less of an issue for me.

I never really kept track, but I'd say before I was 60/40 landscape/portrait, but now I am probably closer to 40/60 landscape portrait orientation on my shots.

Otherwise, the only other "thing" I've noticed in switching is that there is less cropping for an 8x10, which is my typical print size. I used to do a lot of 6x9 and 8x12 before, but frames and getting the prints was at least a scooch harder to do. 5x7 and 8x10 has a little less cropping involved with 4:3 format. Of course, if displaying on my monitors, 4:3 doesn't work nearly as well as 3:2 does with 16:9 monitors.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow