Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Dancebert
Forum MemberPosts: 68Gear list
Like?
Re: My take on this
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 9 months ago

NewGirlLiz wrote:

If a 'normal person' reads a book, they will usually judge it in terms of how much they enjoy it and generally won't look much further than this.

However, if you take a book to a bunch of writers and ask them to critique it, they will look in detail at the technicalities of plot, structure, tension, characterisation, the quality of writing etc etc, and will judge it FAR more critically than your 'general public' guy.

I'm going to borrow your explanation, it seems like it would communicate better than the one I currently use. My usual explanation is when most people clap to live music, they do it on the down beat. Musicians and those who appreciate music clap on the up beat, not because of a rule or guideline or tradition, but because for them clapping on the down beat is like fingernails on a blackboard.

Those who've studied proportion, space, light, color and composition, etc, AND those who have an eye for them without ever opening a book appreciate photos differently than those who like photos. I include myself, barely, in that group.

In the first photo I see a good background in need of a subject, as others have mentioned. No subject means no focal point.

Second photo has a focal point, the red sky - but it's a stretch to call it a subject. The foreground crop stubble gives depth of field. Mother nature provided 2 colors that work well together. In short, there is more to appreciate than in photo #1

Third photo. People are sentimental about barns. Maybe that explains why basic composition of portrait head shots often works for barns too. Your POV (point of view) has the barn facing out of frame, hemmed in by visually busy surroundings and the frame edge. If it were a portrait that would give a feeling of closed-in loneliness. Nice use of the lone tree and the line of 4 trees to frame the barn.

Put the barn on the left side of the frame with mostly empty land in front of it and it's and entirely different feeling. This barn's site may not have allowed that POV, but such occurrences are one of the frustrations and rewards of photography.

At google images search 'barn photography' for examples of barns on the one side of the frame or square to the frame.

-- hide signature --

The best camera is the one you're carrying.

Dancebert's gear list:Dancebert's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow