D800 Autofocus issues II

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,109Gear list
Like?
Re: Can someone please point me to hard evidence of D800 focus problems
In reply to coronawithlime, 11 months ago

coronawithlime wrote:

For that matter, some people who's opinions seem to carry some weight will recommend thorough testing of ANY new piece of gear prior to serious use.

I'm sure that's true of any expensive purchase.

As for any "generic" issue, I suspect no hard evidence will be forthcoming. It's impossible to prove that it NEVER occurs, and proving the existence of an OCCASIONAL design flaw seems to rely many times on anecdotal evidence.

As others have said, proving a negative like this is a problem.  I don't know how to prove all D800s are fault-free - in fact, I'm sure they're not.

But there's a rather paranoid logic in some posts along the lines of "Just prove there's no focus problem in the D800.  You can't?  Well, that just shows there is."

No, it shows nothing of the sort.

Either someone has evidence of a generic focus issue with the D800, or it's reasonable to assume that there isn't any generic issue.  Just as it's reasonable to assume that D800s don't spontaneously morph into candyfloss and it's reasonable to assume that using D800s doesn't give you warts.  I can't prove any of these, but they're reasonable assumptions given the lack of evidence to the contrary. And I haven't read any evidence here; forgive me if I've missed it.

We don't have to prove that the D800 has no AF issue before we can assume that to be true.  The lack of evidence of an AF issue is strong grounds for assuming there is no generic AF issue.

But if there is evidence of a D800 AF issue, please someone show it.  Don't just talk about it.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow