Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,218Gear list
Like?
Re: Can someone please point me to hard evidence of D800 focus problems
In reply to Simon Garrett, 11 months ago

Simon Garrett wrote:

We know there was a left-focus issue with early D800s (now long-since fixed),

But still occasionally reported by new purchasers, whether they actually have it or not.

At $3000 it might still be a good idea to test immediately on receiving the camera and stay within the return period and actuation limit. Speaking only for myself, I don't think I would feel comfortable assuming my new D800 had no left focus issue without personal verification.

For that matter, some people who's opinions seem to carry some weight will recommend thorough testing of ANY new piece of gear prior to serious use.

As for any "generic" issue, I suspect no hard evidence will be forthcoming. It's impossible to prove that it NEVER occurs, and proving the existence of an OCCASIONAL design flaw seems to rely many times on anecdotal evidence.

As an aside, I have a second D800 (the e model this time) on order from B & H and plan to carefully examine it's performance during the return period.

For me, the issue is limited to whether MINEhas a problem, and I'll gladly leave the global debate to others with more and better data.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow