Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Gianluca Grossi
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigh...so much bad advice in this thread
In reply to knickerhawk, 10 months ago

knickerhawk wrote:

TangoR wrote:

It seems that I am getting some noise in Low(ish) light ISO 200 images. Usually in normal condition my images are pretty much noise free. But IN the attached image (ORF converted to JPG in Aperture) there what I would call noise at ISO 200.

Is this normal? Is there a setting I missed on the camera?

Noise type stuff in the Sky portion.

First, sky noise is not uncommon at all in these lower midtones. However, unlike the claims of some in this thread, it is by no means a problem limited to MFT cameras (or Oly bodies in particular).

Second, it's not a problem that's caused by the raw converter being used. Converters other than Aperture may have higher default noise supression, but there are trade-offs that go along with that. The point here is that the noise is real and inherent in the image and any converter used is going to be compromised as a result. Yes, a lot more could be done in your raw converter to improve this image, but the fundamental problem has nothing to do with the fact that Aperture is the converter of choice here.

Until you use Photo ninja with is really great noise/sharpening setting and you'll see a great difference between this and Aperture a  LR. Raw converter DOES the difference especially PN. If I could "work" this raw file with PN you'll see 0 noise and much more detail...

Third, a number of responses in this thread have missed the fundamental point that this image is underexposed and signficantly so. Given the subject and the scene dynamic range, the correct exposure for this image in raw should be increased by at least a couple of stops. There would have been no downside in terms of highlights or motion blur, and the sky noise would have disappeared. The OP needs to learn how to ETTR with this camera for "proper" raw exposure, and he'll be far happier with the results in these situations.

By the way, it's a lovely image, that can still be improved with some better processing and post-processing.

Gianluca Grossi's gear list:Gianluca Grossi's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow