Why is there no love for the HX300..?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
edform
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is there no love for the HX300..?
In reply to PAUL TILL, 11 months ago

I was intrigued by one poster to this thread who said the the very long zoom of the HX300 was 'too long for this kind of camera.' Why would that be the case?

The fact is, these long zoom bridge cameras can give startlingly good results. I've not owned a Sony example, but I bought myself a Nikon P510 some while back, and on the day that I got it I took the photo below from an upstairs window, looking out at the iron railings of our rear garden. The shot was handheld at full zoom [1000mm equivalent] and is absolutely pin sharp - look at the spiders webs!

Handheld at 1000mm equivalent.

Blown up to 100% the noise is obvious but at reasonable print sizes it doesn't affect the results. I've held a big canon with a 600mm lens on the front, and without a bean bag or a tripod, or a convenient tussock of grass, taking pictures is all but impossible, purely because the thing is huge and weighs a ton. As the OP said, his RX300 gets him useable shots at 1200mm equivalent in his hands - for convenience and versatility alone the camera has an honourable place in the photographich spectrum.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow