Can you still make a living as a full time professional photographer?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shutterbug013
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Can you still make a living as a full time professional photographer?
9 months ago

In a age where most people have at least one camera on them all the time (sometimes two in the case of phones) and where stock photography has destroyed photography studios, is it still possible to make a decent living and career as a full time professional photographer?.

The reason I ask this is as part of my final year of schooling before graduating I was asked to start planing what i was to do after school whether that be employment or further study at University etc. I have had a strong interest in photography for over 8 years now and have being considering a career as a photographer for some time. But it seems that professional photography getting harder to get into and being successful as a professional photographer even harder still. I have considered doing a Bachelor in Photography at university, but with the industry changing quickly i am worried that there will be no career opportunities after completing the course (if i do that course).

Is there still a place in this modern world to make a living as a full time professional photographer or are those days numbered and if there is, what areas of professional photography will see employment or are expected to see growth in the next 5-10 years?

Shutterbug013's gear list:Shutterbug013's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow