Should I go RAW only?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
PhotoHawk
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?
Re: Should I go RAW only?
In reply to IGotShot, 3 months ago

When I first started in digital photography I shot JPEG only. At least for the first year. I then switched to raw. At the time I thought that as convertors got better over time I could revisit particularly interesting photographs, reprocess them and get better results. That was back when CS3 was current. Now I have DXO and the latest copy of ACR not to mention some excellent CS6 plugins for noise.

I have periodically gone back and reconverted older raw photographs with the tools I now have and I've pretty much been able to fix the photographs that I liked but had something odd to them - like some lens aberration, noise or colour profiling issues.  I expect that the technology will continue to improve as it has year over year.

I now shoot raw+jpeg. When I ingest them into my computer the subfolder for the shoot has one for raw and one for jpeg. I have a third I create for jpegs converted from the raw - the ones I want to something special with.

I recommend for flexibility and for your future self that you shoot raw or raw+jpeg. In other words always have the raw available. If you are serious about photography and want the flexibility in approach. If you are not and you don't care for that flexibility go ahead a shoot jpeg.

Its a pretty poor place to be in the future knowing that if you had that raw of that past once in lifetime shot never to be repeated or revisited you could fix a particular fault in the photograph but couldn't because all you had was the jpeg.

-- hide signature --

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow