Why do these A7R shots look so awful? Locked

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
philosomatographer
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
I said nothing of artistic merit
In reply to Dave Wyman, 6 months ago

Dave Wyman wrote:

While I'm not a huge fan of HDR, the images Ratcliff produces go beyond ordinary photographic images, each one more an artistic digital rendering of a scene and each one less a traditional image that mimics reality. The photos seem more than sharp enough to me, in part because I don't look at them with a 100% crop.

Your comments seem, like some HDR images, over the top, as if you are spoiling for an argument. Are you not aware, from a simple perusal of Ratcliff's website, that he has a lot of fans and that your comments might seem at least somewhat insulting to them?

Hi Dave,

I said nothing of the artistic merit of the images. But if you think that those images are technically acceptable for large printing, you have very low standards I am afraid. They are noisy, blurred, and riddled with a canvas-like noisy texture.

If this is all part of his artistic vision, well then - more power to him. I just wanted to understand - from the community of people that use the A7 - if this is typical. I must admit, I didn't realise that almost all of these are "HDR" images - which explains a lot. Not everything (i.e. I do much less noisy HDRs with my ancient-tech E-5) - but a lot.

I find it amusing that you think that I should care in the least over insulting somebody's "website fans" in a technical discussion of image quality. Ha!

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow