Senior MemberPosts: 1,644Gear list
Like?
Re: X-trans is a winner
In reply to Dave Luttmann, 9 months ago

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Graham Hill wrote:

vivanchenko wrote:

That picture is stunning.

The OP did not say that the image is moiré free. I would say that he sounded more like that moiré is not a problem there. And it obviously not.

I believe that trying to persuade most photographers that X-Trans is a superior to Bayer technology is a lost cause even if X-Trans was running circles around Bayer (it's not, it is just slightly better). And the reason is ...... Leica. Leica is not using X-Trans and we all know that nothing can be better than Leica. Trying to prove otherwise is a sacrilege.

Pentax, Ricoh, and Nikon do not use AA filters either on some cameras. They get along just fine.

X Trans is just another one of Fujifilm's patented marketing gimmicks.

I wouldn't say it's a gimic. It does seems to exhibit less moire than bayer sensors do.

It has less moiré as bayer sensors WITHOUT an AA filter.

I has about the same or slighlty worse moiré issues then those who do. It does yield sharper crispier results as camera's with an AA filter.

The X-trans main advantage seems to be low light. The high ISO noise is mostly monochromatic and very fine of structure. Much like film grain that isn't as annoying and easier to get rid of in post.

So the X-trans is an marketing name. but no gimmick. it's probably the best Apsc sensor out there. But differences to the 24mp Toshiba are very subtle and small. It does destroy everything canon has produced so would not call it gimicky.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LOLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow