Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Graham Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?
Re: Why does it even matter?
In reply to shigzeo ?, 8 months ago

shigzeo ? wrote:

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

Yeah, I know it's a discussion and there are two camps, seemingly at war with each other. The question is why? Who cares if someone uses a DSLR or Mirrorless Camera?

This is like arguing over politics or religion.. nothing is proven, nothing solved.. just camera jihad.

Carry on.... beat each other to death.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

I don't get it either.

You will get it if you adopt a religious fundamentalist viewpoint for mirrorless and against SLR's.  Try sprucing up your verbiage with words like flipping or floppy mirror.   You need to always mention the mirror in as pejorative a manner as possible.

I'm not for the SLR or against it. I'm against the current DSLR because it is so large. The SLR never was a massive camera except for a few early german models and later gripped pro models. As soon as the 1990's hit, SLR designs got bigger every year, until today, even the smallest DSLR models are roughly twice the volume of large mirrorless designs.

I love SLR photography. And mirrorless shoots exactly the same as SLR: mimicking TTL with Through The Sensor (TTS).

When TTS evolves to a point where OVFs are outmoded for every single use, I will fully embrace the mirrorless design. I have several mirrorless cameras and one DSLR. The DSLR has only one advantage still for the taking of photographs: a decent OVF. It is built far better and is more reliable, but that doesn't really affect how I use a camera, only how I treat it.
But I cannot wait for the day when:

1. The DSLR becomes the size of the SLR, or:
2. mirrorless fully is able to replace the SLR for every single application including manual focusing without the use of aids.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow