Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
trueview
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to bigpigbig, 8 months ago

I haven't read all the thread so my apologies if I'm saying something that has already been mentioned.

On weakness I see in bigpigbig's reasoning is that he looks at the mirrorless technology from a dynamic point view, and at dlsrs in a static perspective.

Technological advances might (or not) preserve the DSLRs advantages, or produce new ones. Such things as non moving mirrors with electrically generated opacity, or borrowing the hybrid viewfinder technology form the mirrorless cameras, etc.

In all honesty, with the multiplication of formats, losses incurred by mirrorless manufacturers, tumbling profits for the largest DSLR manufacturers, etc, if was paid today to write a report on the state of the photographic market in the next ten years, I would be seriously scratching my head !

And that is an issue for the average photographer, in terms of knowing what to buy and preserving one's investment. I like to shoot film alongside digital, so I carry a Contax G2 with my XP1. THis camera was bought used (thankfully) a few months before Contax folded all together ! The day something breaks in this camera, I end up with an expensive paperweight.

I happily bought into the fuji X system, but personally, I think that, due to the installed based, my investment in this system is a bit of a gamble. More so than the 5DIII and lenses I also have.

I believe that installed base is a defining factor in the survival of a system/standard/technology/brand. Cemeteries are full of creative newcomers who didn't succeed at gaining sufficient weight. (Of course, cemeteries are also full of behemoths who failed at reacting swiftly enough at the challenge of creative newcomers )

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow