So why don't people ever talk about the 4/3 aspect ratio?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
letsgofishing
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
Re: There is no reason that Oly and Pana can't make the sensor bigger?
In reply to Advent1sam, 6 months ago

Advent1sam wrote:

topstuff wrote:

I know this is a gear forum, but the 4/3 aspect ratio is a big deal.

It is not the same as 3/2. It is not the same as a APSC or FF , or really, ANY other camera.

People come and go on this forum talking about moving to m43 so they have smaller and lighter cameras. People wax lyrical about the EM-1 as The Best Camera Ever, but no-one talks about the aspect ratio.

The aspect ratio can make a big difference to photo making. This is a creative thing we are doing, so what is the experience of people here in adapting to 4/3 over 3/2 from a creative standpoint?

Was is it hard? Do you find that you have to crop more because the format seems too square? Or do you not notice?

Or maybe you don't even really think about it and polish your shiny new gear instead?

The 4/3 aspect is a big change for some people.

I am surprised that so little talk of it takes place. Or am I missing something?

As many old-timers on this forum know the GH1 and GH2 had larger sensors that covered all ratio's incl. 16:9, which gave excellent choice depending on what you were shooting. It also made the equivalent HOV wider, so that a 14mm lens was 25.5mm aprox in 16:9 and 26 in 3:2, which was cool. As of now I actually think you get more top and bottom into frame with 4:3 and as someone mentioned the 3:2 can sometimes look a bit empty on the sides.

I still have an old LX3 with this superb feature - anybody know why this "design" was dropped? - it just makes so much sense to me....

letsgofishing's gear list:letsgofishing's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow