Em-1 Noise in Low ISO, Low light shots.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 741Gear list
Like?
Re: Em-1 Noise in Low ISO, Low light shots.
In reply to TangoR, 6 months ago

TangoR wrote:

What is ETTR?.

It stands for 'expose to the right' which means to get as close as possible to clipping highlights without actually clipping. This is indicated by a histogram that is as close as possible to the right side without going over. This is a way to minimize noise and maximize tonal gradation.

It seems images that were exposed perfectly have no noise Its only images that are slightly underexposed that have the strange noise.

Yup. The small sensor in the E-M1 is great but it does require care in exposure to really keep noise to a minimum. The bigger full-frame sensors offer more latitude in this respect. I use a Sony RX1 for landscapes and it is much more forgiving. However, when an image is exposed correctly on the E-M1, there is not a ton of difference between the two.

In fact it only affects the Sky really. Its a bit annoying because I have less noise at 1600 ( with no noise reduction) that I have at 200..

You really have to avoid underexposure.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow