extremely affordable 4k (aka UHD) 28" displays coming as companion to your MP or rMBP

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,422Gear list
Like?
Re: extremely affordable 4k (aka UHD) 28" displays coming as companion to your MP or rMBP
In reply to williamio, 3 months ago

williamio wrote:

joger wrote:

btw - if you own e.g. a Mac Mini and you think of using the built in HDMI and the Thunderbolt port forget about that too because the HDMI on the Mini is limited to 1920x1080P60 (at least mine was) and the HD4000 Intel graphics should also have problems with UHD @ 60 Hz - even the new rMBP don't support that

the only two ways to get UHD @ 60 Hz now on MAC are either buy a Mac PRO or a dedicated compatible GPU that is capable of doing that - that said - it might work attaching such a GPU in a TB casing if you happen to own a MAC without internal PCIe slots

http://sonnettech.com/product/echoexpress3d.html

Thanks! very good information! I did not know Mac does not support 2x HDMI output, any particular reason why it can't? can I use one mDP (or thunderbolt) to HDMI adapter and another one from on board HDMI port so I can have 2x HDMIs outputs to the 4K monitor @ 60Hz....

Again, thanks!

@W

oh you could of course use an adapter from mDP to HDMI and the built in HDMI port (if present) but the HDMI port is limited to 1920x180 at 60 Hz and at the mDP you're limited on most MACs at 2560x1600 at 60 Hz but you would need 2 x 1920x2160 or 3840x1080 at 60 Hz which is not supported bei all of the MACs with HDMI and mDP except the recent rMBP and MP. these machines are capable of 3840x2160 at 30 Hz over HDMI and the MP is capable of up to 2 x 4096x2160 at 60 Hz over mDP

If you want to have UHD or 4k at 60 Hz on a MAC you're probably gonna have to invest in either:

1.) A new Mac PRO

2.) A new graphic card for your Mac Pro prior to late 2013

3.) A Thunderbolt PCIe Thunderbolt casing and a new graphic card plus a Thunderbolt cable for your Thunderbolt equipped MAC

Or you'll have to wait for an iMAC that supports it and/or the next generation Mac Book PROs which might support HDMI 2.0 and UHD or 4k over mDP - this is likely to happen end of this year.

BTW - I doubt that there are UHD monitors out that would work flawlessly with to HDMI input signals synchronous but some of them support split screen functionality - that might work at some point - but I doubt it would satisfy most of the users - give it a try and report on the effect - I am rather sure the HDMI port will not support > Full HD resolutions at 60 Hz and you should double check the capabilities of the GPU in your MAC - if it's intel HD 4000 you're probably gonna fail and if it#s a dedicated GPU in a 15 inch rMBP it might be with a try but I am not sure it would work - I have strong doubts here

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
if you start to fight with a pig you'll end up mud-wrestling - the only difference is the pig will like it

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow