Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,658Gear list
Like?
Re: That's not the way it works...
In reply to user_name, 8 months ago

user_name wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Sorry, but if you remove the Bayer filter there is no color data. All you have is grey scale data. Yes, you get an increase in resolution and detail. I would rather keep the color data to allow for greater post processing options. With today's cameras having 24 and 36 MP I have plenty of detail. I think these conversions had more utility back when 6-12 MP was the norm.
--
Mike Dawson

Mike,

I think I see what you are saying. Yes, all three RGB photosites receive gray data.

You still have those three photosites to work with and each site should receive almost identical spectrum intensities. I guess that is a disadvantage in your view?

Yes, it is.  Now, a converted camera may be closer to B&W photography back in the days of film.  You can put different color filters on the lens and get creative that way.  Yellow or red filters to enhance clouds and sky, for example.  But you are limited.  Even in the days of film you could use different films that each possessed their own spectral sensitivities.  You can't do that with a B&W modified DSLR.

So, yes, you get a bit more detail but you lose so many options.  Read (or watch) the Vincent Versace tutorials on B&W conversion if you haven't already (Oz to Kansas).  You'll see what I'm talking about in terms of having color data available in post.  Added note... notice how the MaxMax site is still using a Canon 30D 10mp camera as an example of their conversion?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow