Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ttbek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,489Gear list
Like?
Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to myphotographic, 11 months ago

myphotographic wrote:

Only the first (high fps autofocus) is inheriently affected by the choice of mirror/no-mirror. The lack of quality super-telephotos isn really more of a consequence of the autofocus issue, and the fact people who'll buy expensive telephotos value high performance AF.

Thank you, one of the few people that's capable of talking sense on this topic.  Well, this and OVF vs. EVF preferences.  The idea is that now that we have on sensor PDAF in a few mirrorless cameras, we may be able to get that kind of AF within a few years if it is a big priority for a major company.  If that gap is closed, then I lean towards ditching DSLR going forwards.

Many people on here like to compare apples and oranges, cameras that were never meant to be in the same class, to high end DSLRs.  Compare say a NX300 and a Rebel and the gap isn't anything worth crowing about, if that even is in the Rebel's favor (which depends on what trade offs one prefers).

If I was Fuji, I'd bribe Tamron to make an x-mount version of the new 150-600.

Tilt-shift lens already work as well/better in a different system; the medium-format ones!

Oh no, we're losing you, lenses are not a quality of mirror vs. no mirror.  Canon could put out a 1D X replacement with no mirror, same EF mount, all the same lenses, still AF.  As you said at the start, it's only getting AF/Servo Tracking to the same performance that holds back mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Someone else brought up one other good point, being battery life.  It's a challenge for sure, but I think we can live with it.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow