The rise of (serious) mirrorless: Sony Alpha 7 and Fuji X-T1

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,837
Like?
Re: What is definition of a mirrorless camera ?
In reply to BertIverson, 7 months ago

BertIverson wrote:

Dodi73 wrote:

... On a side note, I do know the RX10 isn't a mirrorless camera ...

What is the definition of a mirrorless camera? I always assumed mirroless had no mirror and used CDAF. Help me here,
Bert

Basically, a mirrorless camera is an interchangeable lens camera with a mechanical shutter that doesn't have a mirror and utilizes an electronic viewfinder.

Even though a compact camera doesn't have a mirror it doesn't fall into the mirrorless category because it's not an interchangeable lens camera and it doesn't have a mechanical shutter.

Compact cameras have electronic shutters.

When mirrorless cameras first came out there were many suggestions and arguments about what to call them. At first they were called EVIL cameras (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens) but that name didn't go over very well, for obvious reasons.

After much debate the term "mirrorless" was chosen but even that name is confusing to many people because compacts don't have a mirror either.

When the term mirrorless was first used compact cameras were generally called "point & shoot" cameras and are still called this by some companies (Canon for one); however, many people disliked the term point & shoot because their cameras where much more advanced than a simple point & shoot.

The general term compact became the acceptable category.

Many people on these forums get confused and that's understandable. Some people even confuse some of the Fuji cameras with a rangefinder. Naturally, they are not and only look similar to a rangefinder.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow