Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
brooklyn geezer
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Re: No, because it was not the subject of discussion in this thread
In reply to bigpigbig, 7 months ago

bigpigbig wrote:

brooklyn geezer wrote:

I thought the question was .."what is left" to take over from DSLR. How is mentioning the lack of proper tethering support not relevant to subject of discussion?

a) I think for one tethering will need to be supported. Im not sure why this is not the case for mirrorless systems. I would like to see it.

The other items holding me back have been mentioned over and over

b) larger sensor (ff) equals larger prints. in time mirrorless will catch up but for now seems not. with the exception of sony's ff mirror less I would think. To frame a question to omit a weakness is fair enough, but it's still an item that is left.

c) auto focus speed

I may take the dive into Fuji..but those items leftover from a DSLR are what make me hesitate.

It is an excellent reply.

a) Tethering is still something that (as far as I know) is not available to mirrorless cameras. I use it almost everyday for demonstrating ideas to my students, shooting macro stacks and shooting portraits in the studio.

I would love for Fuji to support this - if even only on Pro - model.  I don't know if it's camera makers or Phase or Adobe that makes this not happen, but it has been frustrating since I got back into  photography through digital photogrraphy  a couple of years ago

b) I don't believe this is a sensor size issue. Eventually, APS-C will have a 36mp sensor that produces A2 prints equivalent of today's D800e. Will the future D900e 54mp camera produce even bigger prints? Of course, but at some point, you'd agree, enough is enough. No?

I agree.  I don't care whats inside a camera as long as it has high IQ and I can print from it I doubt I would not buy this camera based on this alone. I don't print larger then 17"wide now as my older files would start to break down after this and I only have an Epson 4900. But you can bet as I buy a new camera and start to invest in a system, as a fine art photographer I do care if I will be able to print or have a service print a high quality print for me. Im pretty picky with prints.

c) It is getting closer every day. Mirrorless AF accuracy will surpass the DSLR. The fact that AF even works in a DSLR is amazing. The tolerances for a second AF sensor and moving mirror will reach a limit. AF of the sensor itself seems to make more sense.

I would agree.  I don't know enough about the mechanics - but my Oly E5 was a sharp shooter when it came to this. FIrst thing I missed when switching / testing Fuji xe2. And whenever I pick up a Mk11/111 or D800 I'm always awed by the accuracy and quicness compared to what I am used to  -- especially for the month I was using the x-e2

With all that said though -- I really enjoyed the xe2 - and had a lot of fun.  I almost always shoot manual (besides focus- which was changing with the xe2). Something about the aperture ring and dials just feels good and more "connected" then adjusting everything by wheel and menus. I miss my xe2 and the lens deals I gave up when returning!

Im still on the fence between Fuji, Nikon D800E and Mk2/3.  That alone tells me mirror less  is  missing some things I would like.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow