Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mi1stormilst
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
Are micro four thirds cameras a trend?
7 months ago

I created this thread with all seriousness in mind. I have been shooting with Canon DSLRS for 7+ years and have no complaints, however I am seriously considering a major down size. I have done my fair share of pixel peeping, DXOing and read review after review until I am sick of it. I thought I wanted the A7R, then the Olympus OMD EM1 and then full circle to the Canon 6D. Today I decided to hit my local camera store (Tempe Camera) to get my hands on each of these for a few minutes. I came away with the following impressions.

1.) The Olympus OMD EM1 is a tiny albeit solid feeling and comfortable camera. I didn't like the viewfinder compared to my 7D. I almost felt like the image presented was a bit fuzzy and not at all as sharp as I have been lead to believe. Yes I made several adjustments and I could only make it look worse or better, but not great like the 7D. This might have something to do with getting used to EVF Vs. a OVF? I think I will need a battery grip on the OMD EM1 so I don't loose it because it is SOOOOO tiny. I still like it and want to spend more time with it before I decide.

2.) The A7R just felt wonky all the way around to me. I do not appreciate the textures, dials or the build quality. It did not seem like it should cost as much as it does. I am not judging it by its merits just how it felt in my hands. I will probably not consider this camera on shear presentation alone...I know very shallow and closed-minded. I was similarly disappointed with the viewfinder, but it might have been a hair better than the Olympus.

3.) The Canon 6D feels like a toy compared to my 7D. I just took a look at this after being a bit sad about the previous two cameras. I don't think I want to buy it at all after holding it in my hands. I believe I am ready to go with a smaller camera I guess I am just having a hard time deciding.

I need help from people who have owned or currently own DSLRs AND have used or own any of the cameras I have listed above. What do you think about switching from a DSLR like the 7D to a smaller micro four thirds camera or something like the Sony?

Everyone else feel free to comment about your thoughts on the micro four thirds system in general. Is it hear to stay? How many of you are considering a similar switch? How many of you think the only way to be serious about photography is to own a DSLR?

So you all have a reference I rarely shoot sports and don't even like to do it. I primarily shoot portraits, family photography, wedding, buildings and nature. I also intend to purchase something like the 70D down the road for its video capabilities and to have a something to put my Canon lenses on.

mi1stormilst's gear list:mi1stormilst's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow