Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
maoyama
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Re: Our (photographers) taste in photos vs the general public
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

I noticed that when taking "people" photos, the general public is overall much less concerned with sharpness and maybe even exposure/lighting than simply capturing a special moment. For example, when my friend was saying her wedding vow and messed up, and everyone including the bride/groom bursted into laughter, I caught that moment. But because I had a lower shutter speed than I should have, it was slightly blurry even without having to pixel peep. I personally wasn't very pleased with it, but put it up on my social networking site with all the other photos that were much sharper, and to me, had the classic wedding-feel.

People like the one with the laughter more than any of the other photos by a good margin, despite the blur.

And on the other hand, if you are doing a photoshoot for a family of four, and the baby is starting to get grumpy/sleepy and stops paying attention to you, no matter how sharp the photo is, no matter how well it is composed/exposed, no matter how great the rest of her family looks, if her expression isn't there, then your client won't be very happy with the picture. (although they are usually very understanding that there's only so much you can do with the baby who is ready to go home.)

That's just been my experience.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow