Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Mark Carr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037
Like?
Justin_time - Re: Two more nails in the DSLR coffin...what is left?
In reply to justin_time, 6 months ago

Hi Justin_time,

justin_time wrote:

Mark Carr wrote:

Hi,

I have not had an opportunity to shoot, or even handle, an "X" cam, but there are a few instances when I think a DSLR's will prevail.

1) Underwater Photography - I do not know of a single manufacturer that has produced a dedicated underwater housing for a mirrorless camera.

Olympus OM-D EM5 has underwater housing

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Honestly, I've never shot with an Olympus camera, but it's a good sign that there are companies moving in that direction. There are lots of companies that specialize in underwater housings, hopefully they'll commit the resources necessary to make underwater photography a reality for those with mirrorless cams.

2) Wildlife - 200mm just won't work, even if you were to add a 1.4x teleconverter. For some type of wildlife photography, i.e. birding, even a 500mm lens often comes up short.

Agreed, but there is a Super telephoto zoom on Fuji's roadmap. I just hope its 400mm and that would be OK for me.

Yeah, a 400mm with a 1.4x extender would really be attractive. Probably not long enough for certain times of photography, like birding, but for most other it would suffice.

3) Bad Climate - I don't believe any of the Fuji cams or lenses are weather sealed, at least thus far. I live in the tropics and have lost two Fuji "S" cams and two Tamron lenses that weren't weather sealed. If you're shooting under normal weather conditions then perhaps this isn't a concern, but excessive heat, humidity and cold might demand a sealed DSLR body.

well the X-T1 is weather sealed and the road map has 3 weather sealed lenses this year. Only time will tell wheter they are up to the resistance of Nikon, canon pro camera.

I wonder if the lenses mentioned to be weather sealed are existing lenses that have been redesigned or entirely new lenses? Either way, it's a move in the right direction and something they have on the list of "things to do". It was the same with the "S" cams, the S2 and S3 were not sealed, but the S5, based on the D200 body, was.

Thanks for your comments.

Kind regards,
Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow