EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
javayoda
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
Re: EOSHD : E-M1 vs GH3 for video
In reply to rcjim, 7 months ago

rcjim wrote:

A single reviewer says that the E-M1 is the cat's meow in video and now the Oly fanboys are jumping all over this...LOL. The E-M1 is a great stills camera, but when it comes to video, it can't compete with the latest Pany cameras...GH3, G6 and GX7. Check out the below video I recently shot with the GX7.

https://vimeo.com/84551953

The E-M1 can't come close to producing such a clean and vivid video as above, especially in indoor environments.

No fanboy here. I have a GX7 and an EM1. I used to have a hacked GH2. No doubt, the Panasonic codec is extremely good and 60p looks incredible. That said, when I shoot low-light with a prime on the GX7, I'm generally disappointed with the result. Simply put, I don't like unstabilized video.  F2.8 is often too slow for my purposes (the fastest stabilized lens in M43). The EM1 is definitely better than previous Olympus cameras and certainly better than many give it credit for. If I were Panasonic, I'd be extremely worried about Olympus improving their codec further.

-- hide signature --
 javayoda's gear list:javayoda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow