X-T1 looks great but.....

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,681Gear list
Like?
Re: X-T1 looks great but.....
In reply to malabito, 10 months ago

The Nikon D4 sensor is highly regarded and I have never read a post where someone criticised in fact. I have also never read a post in the Nikon forum where someone said they were going to Canon because of the D4 sensor.

The use of that sensor in the DF shows the opposite. I thought about getting a DF just to get that sensor and would forgive some quirks of the camera.

On the topic of a new sensor for the X series. I think its a bit more complex than simply increasing the mp count. Both X series and Sony emount have a very short flange distance.

Current CMOS and CCD sensor pixels require light to enter them in a fairly narrow angle. So when you have smaller pixels and a thick top covers like the filter array and cover slip glass then the angle of the light out to the sides with wide angle lenses gets too wide for the sensor to cope. You end up with smearing and magenta cast.

Sony Nex 7 was the first camera I heard of this happening to (24mp). Sony A7/r will do it to with wide angle rangefinder lenses.

The new organic sensor Fuji is working on allows a wider angle of light to enter and is one of its features. So this would allow Fuji to increase the mp count and not have magenta cast in the sides of wide angle images.

Perhaps this is a big reason for not upping the mp count and probably the 16mp Exmor sensor is still the best on the market at this time especailly when you consider this problem.

Canon seemed to continually increase mp in APS cameras and there low light performance is not that great.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow